Every day more and more Ukrainian citizens arrive in Russia, running away from the mess that is going on in their country. Some arrive in Moscow and St Petersburg. However, after crossing the border, people don't know what to do. This article aims to help refugees and asylum-seekers in Moscow and St. Petersburg to avoid many problems.
Refugee status and temporary asylum in the Russian Federation
A refugee is a person who is not a citizen of the Russian Federation, which in effect is a very real and justified fear of becoming a victim of persecution on grounds of religion, race, nationality, citizenship and political views in his country is outside the country of his nationality, is unable or unwilling to benefit from the protection of that country owing to such fears, as the person without citizenship outside the country of normal residence and is unable or unwilling to return to that country because of such fear (article 1 of the Federal law of 19.02.1993 No. 4528-1 "On refugees")
Temporary asylum is the right of a foreign citizen or stateless person to temporarily reside on the territory of the Russian Federation in accordance with article 12 of the Federal law "On refugees" and other normative legal documents.
The process of applying for refugee status
1. Reception of the foreign citizen petitions for the recognition of his and his family members of refugees and issuance of certificate of acceptance of such petition.
2. Consideration of a motion (provisional) – about 5 working days from the date of its receipt.
3. The adoption of the decision on the results of preliminary consideration of the petition for recognition of a person and his family members were refugees of the certificate on consideration of the petition on the merits or refuse to consider the request on its merits.
4. Registration and issuance of a certificate of consideration of the motion or a notice on refusal in petition consideration in essence.
5. Appeal the decision of the territorial body on refusal in consideration of petitions for refugee status (on appeal to the court or to the Federal migration service of the Russian Federation).
6. Consideration of the request on the merits of the applicant within 3 months from the date of the decision on issuance of a certificate of consideration of petitions for refugee status on the merits. This period may be extended, but not more than 3 months.
7. The decision by results of consideration of the petition on the merits (either for refugee status or on refusal in recognition).
8. Issuance of a certificate of refugee or the direction or delivery of notice of denial of refugee status.
9. The appeal against the decision to refuse refugee status, loss or deprivation of refugee status (on appeal to the court or to the Federal migration service of the Russian Federation).
The stages for temporary asylum in Russia
1. Submission of an application for asylum in Russia.
2. The issuance of certificate of considering an application for temporary asylum.
3. Consideration of an application for temporary asylum – 3 months from the date of filing the application in the manner prescribed by Decree of the government of 09.04.2001 No. 274.
4. The decision on granting temporary asylum or refuse to grant such asylum.
5. The issuance of the certificate on granting temporary asylum on the territory of the Russian Federation.
Addresses for appeals regarding refugee status and temporary asylum in Moscow and St. Petersburg
In St. Petersburg:
- FMS of Russia at the address: Zakharyevskaya St., 10 (812) 576-05-98;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at St. Horse and Grenadierial (Peterhof), 1, phone: (812) 450-67-32;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at St. Palace Avenue (Lomonosov), D. 30, phone: (812) 423-09-90, 423-00-28;
- Federal point of primary reception of migrants at the address: Naberezhnaya Martynova, D. 60, phones: (812) 235-45-29, 230-64-73;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at the address: ul. Kirochnaya, 4, phone: 576-05-98;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at the address: Sadovaya street, D. 58, phone: 314-57-83;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at the address: Naberezhnaya Obvodnogo kanala, 117, phone: 316-54-22;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at St. 19th line V. O., 12A, phone: 321-95-23;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at the address: Yesenin str., 2, phone: 293-61-12;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at the address: street of Lomonosov (Pargolovo), d. 90 phone: 594-84-06;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at the following address: Avenue of Culture, d. 12 K3, phones: 599-63-41, 599-63-33;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at St. Ho Chi Minh city, d. 8 K1, phones: 592-27-57, 592-27-51;
- FMS Department of the Federal migration service at the address: ul. Esenina, d. 27.
Each County has a Department and a lot of smaller branches:
- Central administrative district – Pyatnitskaya str., 49, phone: 953-11-43;
- Northern administrative district – St. Admiral Makarov, d. 23, a building 1, phone: 156-17-41;
- North-East administrative district – St. Spring-Water, VL. 10, building 1, phone: 616-05-25;
- East administrative district – St. 8-I Park, d. 14a, phone: 464-88-73
- Facing the South-East administrative district – street of Marshal Kozheduba, 2/1, phone: 658-85-54;
Southern administrative Okrug – street, 4, phone: 612-32-50;
- South-Western administrative Okrug of Leninsky prospect, 123, phone: 749-64-15;
- The Western administrative district – Bratyev fonchenko str, 8, phone: 148-18-89;
- North-Western administrative Okrug – Karamyshevskaya nab., 14, phone: 191-19-28;
- The Zelenograd administrative district, Zelenograd, korp. 931, phone: 731-08-51;
- Novomoskovsk administrative district – St. yuzhnobutovskaya 3A, phone: 717-83-09;
Trinity administrative district – the October prospectus, d. 20 phone: 192-52-13;
Airport Vnukovo – St. 2-I Scheduled 2, K. 3, phone: 436-73-51.
Offices in Moscow are open daily on weekdays, but on Wednesdays the reception of applications is not carried out. Working is every 2nd Saturday of the month. At Vnukovo airport the FMS office operates around the clock.
Before performing the demands of a man in a police uniform (to submit documents, to show things, etc.), ask him to provide you his ID and clearly state your rank, surname, name and patronymic. He must do so. If possible, write down his rank and surname, name, patronymic. After the data you specified, find out the reason to you. Unfounded inspection of documents is illegal.
About detention. Remember that the maximum period of administrative detention cannot exceed 3 hours. This period may be extended to 48 hours if it is necessary to identify, ascertain the circumstances of the administrative offence, or if the detainee conducted the proceedings on an administrative offence, and also as one of measures of administrative punishment administrative arrest. If you are detained, it is mandatory you must explain your rights, obligations, reasons for the detention. Also promptly upon your request, must notify the relatives, the leadership of the organization in which you are working or studying, as well as counsel about your location. Mandating that police officers, in the Protocol of administrative detention specified date, time, place and reason for detention.
Never pay the fine "on the spot" in the hands of a police officer is considered as bribery and is punishable under the legislation of the Russian Federation. In the case of the requirement to pay the fine on the spot by police officers or FMS, or other wrongful acts against foreign nationals, should contact in St. Petersburg:
- the duty of the UFMS of St. Petersburg and Leningrad region 579-29-74;
- Management of own safety of the municipal Department of internal Affairs across St.-Petersburg and Leningrad region (address: ul. Zhukova, d. 7a) by phone: 541-02-02
- the duty of the municipal Department of internal Affairs across St. – Petersburg and Leningrad region 340-10-20 or 02.
- the duty of the UFMS of Russia in Moscow by phone (499) 230-7224;
- the duty of the Moscow police on the phone 200-82-05
You can also read, where to go to refugees in Khabarovsk.